Birthday Countdown

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, May 4, 2009

Three turn Four

This morning I woke up in a very different setting than I did 4 years ago.

Today, I had a cat pressed against my head, kneading the pillow and trying to wake me up to feed him. Four years ago, I woke up in a morphine haze with compression boots on my feet and a really dry mouth (surgery will do that to you.)

Today, my mom called at 5:30 AM to make sure I was awake (our morning ritual) and we chatted for a few minutes before starting the day. Four years ago, I vaguely remember calling my friend from school to tell her the babies had arrived and that hospital macaroni and cheese was really slimy. She told me to go back to sleep and call her when I was more coherent.
Today, we woke the kids up by singing Happy Birthday and as they rubbed the sleep from their eyes, they wondered if they could have cookies and ice cream for breakfast. Four years ago, I wheeled down the hall to the NICU to touch them for the first time, held their tiny hands and feet and wondered in awe at the miracles we had been given.
In some ways, it seems like a lifetime ago that they were so new in our lives, and at the same time, it seems like yesterday. Here are some then-and-now photos to show how we got from there-to-here.


No turning back now! 3 days before the babies arrived.



First came M, all 3 lbs 12 ozs of him....... here he is now, a first-rate artist at preschool.



Next came J, a shade lighter at 3 lbs. 6 ozs. ...... Now he lights up the room with his silly antics.




And smallest but never-looking-back L arrived at 2 lbs. 3 ozs.....now she looks oh, so ladylike whenever she gets the chance to dress up.


Celebrating our first year of blessings: 2006

A not-too-terrible second year: 2007

A third year under our belt: 2008


Getting ready for their first "friend party" with the theme, "How to Build a Rainbow",
coming soon to a blog near you! Stay tuned!


Happy Birthday, sweet peas!
We love you and are so proud and thankful to have you in our lives!

Mommy & Daddy

4 comments:

Linda said...

I loved that trip down memory lane with you! The pics are so sweet. I love the latest with the rainbow of crayons!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, M, J & L! I thought of all of you today every time I wrote a pass out! It's great to see the birthday pictures through the years.
Jen Sharp

Heather said...

Wow, four years have flown by! Who would've guessed how our lives would turn out just 5 or 6 years ago??? I am thankful for your sweet kiddos. Pretty soon they'll be turning 16!!! Thanks for posting the cute pics. I remember holding Matt in the hospital--seems like yesterday.
Sorry this is a major ramble of a comment!

Maggie Johnsson said...

Hi Jen!! Just wanted to let you know that the gift receipt for the kids' b-day gifts is sitting on my kitchen counter... I have no idea what receipt I handed you today at the party!! So I will be sure to bring the gift receipt in to school on Tuesday! Sorry about the mix up. You can just throw away whatever it was I handed to you! Thanks again for inviting Sam! He had a great time and is outside right now flying his wind sock in the wind! See you Tuesday!