Birthday Countdown

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 5, 2011

A downright frigid start to 2011

Goodness, it's been cold lately! My fingers are half-numb as I type and I am considering pausing to make a cup of coffee, not because I need the caffeine but because I need the warm cup to wrap my hands around! Has it been this brrrrrrittle where you are?

We just wrapped up January with a promise from Punxy Phil that spring is around the corner, but it's kinda hard to believe him right now :-) Nonetheless, we march on and are finding ways to spend the days indoors, most often at the art table (aka dining room table) or making some concoction in the kitchen. I'm very thankful that the kids are showing great promise in their creative faculties and they still enjoy each other's company 5 1/2 years later. That makes my time at home with them so much more enjoyable! Here's a sampling of our activities from the first month of the year.


One of the snowfalls was a perfect packing snow, so we used the "fixins" kit that
Grammy sent us last year and built this awesome snowman. The kids were waiting
for him to come alive, like he does in the classic children's book.


We also did some sledding, including one run down the hill at sunset.


For the most part, however, we were confined inside, so we found ways to beat the
winter blues with silly lunch concoctions (the carrot and celery picture is supposed to be a scene from the movie Nemo where the clown fish is coming out of his anemone...great way to get kids to eat their veggies and tuna!) J spent a whole afternoon digging for dino bones...we did lots of crafts including painting on canvas, making a "sweetheart house" from a gingerbread kit and learning how to cut out snowflakes. We also used one snow day to get our Valentines written for the class party.





I'll wrap up this January post with a cutie-patootie picture of L in her twisty-turban.
She thinks it looks "stylish." Yes, we're into that era now.


Have a great rest of the winter and check back next month for more updates!

post signature

No comments: