Last week, L brought me a picture she had drawn and began to explain what the scene was all about. "This is where I'm going to live in Heaven," she said, pointing to a pink castle with a rainbow arching over top. "And this is me, riding on a Pegacorn," she added as I struggled to make out the purplish-winged-horned animal with the stick figure on its back.
"That's wonderful, sweetie," I gushed with feigned enthusiasm. She skipped off to show the boys and I returned to my work. Her drawing didn't last more than a moment in my mind as she has been inundating me with artwork of late and this was just one more fanciful creation to add to the stack. (We're currently in the Strawberry Shortcake-CareBear-Disney Princess season of life, so there are lots of castles and sparkles and magical wishing stars to discuss throughout the day.)A little while later, she returned with yet another drawing to show me. "This one is the house you're going to have in Heaven, Mommy," she explained. "Here is a tree in the yard for a swing, and here's me and the boys on a slide and here's your farmhouse." My farmhouse? I put down the coupons I was clipping and turned my full attention to her drawing.
"Tell me more about this, honey," I encouraged. So she told me about coming to visit my house and how Jesus (the tall guy next to the tree) had walked her and the boys across the street from her castle to the slide and how Daddy was working in the yard and how the farmhouse was red because that matches the barn and how there was lots of space for chickens and maybe a sheep or goat, too.
After she finished explaining all the parts of her drawing, I asked why she had chosen a farmhouse for me...why not a castle like hers? "Because you loved living on your farm, Mommy, and that's your favorite place from your child years. Jesus is building us a house that is our favorite place," she answered with simple confidence.
Wow. Talk about a speechless moment. I squeezed her tight and thanked her for the wonderful drawing. As she skipped off, I moved that particular paper to a safe place for safe keeping. And I thanked God for reaching her at this young age with such a clear understanding of His individual love for us.
John 14:2-3
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.
I am going there to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back
and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.







3 comments:
Bless her sweet little heart.
what a special story. thanks for sharing. and thanks for posting a photo of the drawing, too. i love it. and i love the corresponding song!
ps. do i get a farmhouse too? with some sheep? i hope so! hmmm... come to think of it, i may prefer a beach house. lots to ponder. :)
Hey H,
Definitely a beach house. We need a place to land after a long day in the sun and surf!
Post a Comment