Birthday Countdown

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 27, 2008

End of the Season


M, J & L on their first day of preschool

Whenever we're in the middle of a difficult phase with the kids (ie. 24-hour feedings, teething, transition to toddler beds, potty training), I stay sane by reminding myself that "it's just a season" and the challenge will eventually pass. So far I've been right! They don't need a 2AM bottle anymore, they got all their teeth, they stay in their beds all night and they're all professional potty-goers now.


But there are some seasons that I hate to see coming to an end. Nursing...rocking them at bedtime...tentative early steps (so cute :-) and now the end of our pre-school years. By that, I mean that preschool has begun and the 3 short years of us setting our own routine, following our own schedule and being the primary role models and guides for the kids has come to an end. We're now beholden to the 6:30AM alarm clock, the monthly calendar that tells us where to be and when and lots of input from other sources that will invariably challenge us as parents as we work hard to guide the kids on a path that is pleasing to God.


Of course, I knew this season was coming and it's the natural next step in the journey of a child, but from the mom's perspective, it's been a mixed bag. As much as I knew that they were quite ready for a new set of experiences and needed a wider array of social encounters, I had a harder- than- expected time letting out the line.


Fortunately, the kids have had NO problem with a longer leash. They're completely enthralled with the idea of school and love their teachers and new friends (Or, as L says at bedtime prayers, "God, thank you for my people.") So whatever melancholy I might feel about the ending of the "just us" season, the kids are joyfully diving into the new one. And for that, I am so very thankful!

Deuteronomy 28:12
The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land
in season and to bless all the work of your hands.

Speaking of ending the season...I was pulling up all the dead/dying flowers from around the house last week and allowed the kids to pick any remaining blooms they could find. We floated them in a bowl of water. It turned out to be quite a beautiful final summer 'bouquet'.


post signature

2 comments:

Linda said...

L's comment is so sweet. I live for those tender moments when they say something so sweet that it touches your heart. And about school....we'll get through this!!! You know I can relate!

Heather said...

Okay, this post brought tears to my eyes. And I especially loved the dandelion floating with the flowers. Kids don't see weeds.